10 Ways to Lift Yourself Out of the Dumps
Everyone has a bad day or just hits moments when life “sucks”. We mentally know it’s not the end of the world but sometimes it feels that way. If we have a couple of days like that we hit a slump and it can quickly just feel like it’s never ending. People may notice and say all the right things but at the end of the day we have to shake ourselves out of it. We have to encourage ourselves to move forward. Here are 10 ways to encourage yourself, in no particular order. Find your favorite ones and try them.
1. Use Music – Turn on the radio or click on Pandora. Listen to your favorite artist and immerse yourself in the sound. Music can change your mood and energize you. It is a great way to block out the negative energy in your life.
2. Use Affirmations – A quick google or pinterest search will yield a rich field of affirmations and inspirational quotes. The true power of affirmations are unlocked when you speak them out loud. Take the time to see it, speak it, and live it.
3. Use Real Talk – Sometimes we just need to cut to the chase. Just deal with it and move on. Be real with yourself. You may have messed up or made a bad decision. Look for the lesson in the situation and move forward with the intention of doing better the next time.
4. Use Your Gifts – Believe that you have something special in you. A Gift. A Talent. Use it. When we pull on the core gift in us we gain a sense of fulfillment. Particularly when we are helping others. Fulfillment and accomplishment are great encouragers.
5. Use Pampering – In the hustle and bustle of life we often neglect ourselves. We de-prioritize the little things the make us feel good. I’m guilty of that. Let’s agree to stop doing that. Make that hair appointment or nail appointment. Go get a massage. Pamper yourself. Whether you think you deserve it or not.
6. Use Forgiveness – Anger and Guilt are heavy weights on the spirit. Walking around with them will weigh you down spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Be open to give forgiveness, even if the other person doesn’t deserve it. Be open to receive forgiveness, you owe it to yourself. Receive it and release it. Focus your energy on what is needed to move on.
7. Use Positive Memories – In this world of digital pictures sometimes I miss the old fashion photo album. A trip down memory lane can be very refreshing. Remembering brighter days reminds you that they can exist. Know that you will have brighter days again. Seek them.
8. Use Laughter – Ok… Just Laugh. I dare you. Find a funny joke. Find a funny friend to act silly with. Watch a funny movie. Whatever it takes, LAUGH. Laughter truly is medicine for the soul.
9. Use Prayer – God calls us to bring our burdens to him and leave them there. Prayer is a way to acknowledge that we don’t have all the answers and that we need help. Use Prayer to ask for it. Share what’s on your heart and be willing to trust and release it. As you pray, remember to ask for peace and joy.
10. Use Love – Love is a universal language. It speaks to the heart. Use love to lift yourself by first loving yourself. Second, give love. I truly believe love is amplified when you unselfishly and unconditionally give it away.
Everyone has periods where they are just “down”. Don’t stay there. You have a dream to fulfill. Encourage yourself and walk into your greatness.
Thanks for reading. Take the time to LIKE and SHARE. Someone else needs this.
Remember…. Be Encouraged. Be Empowered. Walk boldly into your Dream. You. Are. Great.
judethomas21 - July 24, 2017
I love it! Awesome advice, every one of them .
Lani Nash - July 26, 2017
Great advice. I hate when people think it is easy for you just to perk up when you are having a low day.
trishden - July 30, 2017
Thanks for these tips, I should try to incorporate a couple in everyday.
kitblue - July 31, 2017
Music works for me, even if it is the blues. I have a set of Angel Cards; each card has a word on it that gives me something to reflect on, think about, enact in my life. If I’m feeling down, it is time to pick a new card.
Crystal Rogers Walker - July 31, 2017
Thank you for these ideas, it can be hard sometimes when you have everyone pulling in all directions and you never have time for yourself
Linda Szymoniak - August 1, 2017
My best way to cheer myself up is to spend time with my furbabies. My dogs are the biggest clowns, so they make me laugh. They also love me unconditionally, which is a rare thing in this day and age.
Kimberly R - August 6, 2017
Thanks for the tips, personally for me, leaving the house for a few minutes where I am surrounded by work to do lets me clear my head a bit.